Have you ever wondered how people make their own dairy-free, nut milk?! Well, the secrets out! We are going to share with you a recipe that can be used to create your very own that you can tailor however you please! You can decide whether you want it thick or thin, flavoured or unflavoured, & of course, sweetened or unsweetened. The below recipe makes an unsweetened almond milk, but the process is the same across the board & of course you can add or change ingredients to suit your needs!
What you’ll need:
1 Cup Raw Almonds
5 1/2 Cups Water (2 cups for soaking, 3 1/2 cups for blending)
1. Soak the almonds in 2 cups of cold, filtered water overnight or for 24 hours.
2. After soaking, drain the nuts & add them to blender with 1 1/2 cups of water.
3. Blend the nuts & water on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
4. If needed, scrape the sides of the blender then add 2 more cups of water to the blender. (You can more or less water, depending on how thick/thin you want it!) Blend for 1 minute.
5. While the mixture is blending, place a strainer over a large measuring cup/bowl. Cover the strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth,
6. Once the mixture is finished blending, pour the almond milk over the strainer. You will begin to see a lot of pulp & very little liquid, once this happens use a spoon to move the pulp aside.
7. Once you’ve strained all the liquid, twist together the ends of the cheesecloth & press on the ball of leftover pulp to extract the remaining milk. Try to squeeze out as much as you can.
8. Pour the milk into an air tight container & refrigerate. If it begins to separate, simply shake the jar or stir with a spoon. Milk should keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
There you have it! You can now make your very own nut milk, at HOME! Although it may seem a little daunting & time consuming, we promise the outcome is completely worth it!