Recipe & Images by Logan
15 minute prep, 55 minute bake time, overnight cooling.
Strawberry & Basil Chia Jam
- 3 cups Strawberries
- 3 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/4 c Fresh Basil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
Oat Base / Crumb
- 2 cups Oats
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (or sub 1/2 cup of ground oat flour for a gluten free option)
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 5 tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Chia Egg (1 tbsp chia seeds to 4 tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Begin by making the Strawberry & Basil Chia jam, usually I do not add maple syrup to this recipe but I found that it really added a nice sweetness to the finished squares. You can choose to add it or leave it out. Up to you & what those taste buds of yours enjoy!
- To make the jam simply blend the strawberries with the chia, basil, and maple syrup in a blender until it is fully blended and thick. Usually I would simmer this on the stovetop for about 7 minutes or until a jam consistency is formed, but for this recipe I found that baking it in the oven with the oat crumble was enough & that simmering before hand over-gelatinized the jam.
- Next make the oat crumb by quickly pulsing together the dry ingredients in a food processor & mixing with the maple syrup, coconut oil, and almond milk.
- Add 4 tbsp water to 1 tbsp of chia seeds and let sit until it comes together as your chia egg.
- Add the chia egg to the rest of the crumble and combine well.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- While the oven is heating line a brownie pan with parchment paper, or spray with oil, and press 3/4 of the oat base into the pan, ensuring that you are pressing down firmly to make sure the base really stays together.
- Add to this the strawberry & basil chia jam, spreading it evenly atop your oat base.
- Optional: add freshly chopped strawberry slices evenly over the jam.
- Next crumble the remaining 1/4 of your oat mixture on top of the squares.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until the top oats are golden brown & the chia jam is bubbling.
- Allow to cool, preferably overnight, before slicing into 9 squares.